GETTING MARRIED IN CHURCH
NEW REQUIREMENTS FOR CIVIL REGISTRATION
COUPLES TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR CIVIL REGISTRATION
- All couples must now present in person to a Civil Registrar to give their 3 months notice. This meeting must take place at least 3 months before the wedding in order to comply with the civil requirement.
- The couple will need to know that the church is available prior to this meeting, so this follows that the church will also require a minimum of 3 months notice.
- They will also need to know the name of the priest who will solemnise the marriage. His name must be on the Register of Solemnisers held by the Civil Registrar. The couple must contact the Registrar's Office to make an appointment for attendance.
The minimum age of marriage is 18 years.
CHURCH MARRIAGE PAPERS
The priest will advise the couple of the documents required for the marriage. In general these will be:
- Recent Certificate of Baptism;
- Certificate of Confirmation;
- Completed Pre-Nuptial Enquiry Form;
- Letter of Freedom from each parish where the person to be married has lived for six months or more since age 16 years;
- Pre-Marriage Course Certificate; In the case where one partner is not a Roman Catholic, permission for Mixed Religion/ Dispensation from the local Bishop will also be required.
Attendance at a Pre-Marriage Course is required. A Pre-Marriage Course normally consists of four two hour sessions, where topics such as communication, God's place in the relationship, expectations and experience of marriage, family life and responsibilities are discussed in a relaxed and informal way.
Because of the present demand for courses couples will need to make timely application - normally up to ONE YEAR in advance.
Courses are conducted by ACCORD at Arus de Brun, Newtownsmith, Galway and information and application forms may be had from the Secretary. Tel: 091-562331.
BOOKS & WEB SITE ON MARRIAGE & MARRIAGE PREPARATION
The Knock Shrine Bookshop have a range of useful books on Marriage and Marriage Preparation. Notable among these are various books by Jack Dominian. Also recommended are: Christian Marriage - Preparation and Celebration - Guidelines from the Irish Episcopal Conference. Getting Married - published by the Family Life and Prayer Centre, Knock Shrine. Also an excellent web site www.gettingmarried.ie